Gardinia has installed some fantastic looking encapsulated stained glass windows with bespoke leading in Quarmby for Mrs Robinson.
What is special about this installation is the leading was a new design, created based on the existing design. However the existing stained glass in the top opening windows was encapsulated, allowing this to be preserved and re used our new, modern Upvc windows.
We did have a really good case of old meets new with Mrs Robinsons Windows.
The Stained Glass Window Encapsulation Process:
- Our specialist glass expert attends site and carefully removes the existing stains.
- He then temporary glazes the apertures with single plate clear glass to maintain a weather seal and security.
- Our specialist then takes the units to his studio, and replaces any badly damaged coloured glass units from his extensive stocks of original coloured glass.
- He then puts the glass units through a extensive glass polishing process which removes any ingrained marks, dirt and blemishes.
- Our glass specialist also repairs and re-solders any lead joints to ensure they are maintained, firm and secure.
- The glass is now restored to the existing vibrant colours and finish as when fitted.
- Lastly the new stained glass is trapped inside a brand new double glazed unit making it “triple glazed”, this means that the new stained glass will not weather or become marked or dirty as it is no longer open to the elements.
Below are some before photos, showing the old stained glass / leaded windows:
The photos below show the newly designed leading together with the encapsulated stained glass. For the leading we used 9mm antiqued led that was pre blackened led, resulting in a more aged look to better compliment the newly encapsulated stained glass windows top opening windows.
I think you will agree the end result is a great showcase of old meets new, the encapsulated stained glass windows really do need to be viewed in person to truly appreciate the end result.
If you have old stained glass windows you’d like to preserve, however upgrade to modern energy efficient windows then why not get in touch today.